Friday, October 29, 2010

Some new thoughts on our homeschooling

When I started k12 with Ethan, I imagined us working as a group through the curriculum with the older daycare kids.  For the first month or so, that worked out pretty well. 

Then when Ethan started to struggle in Phonics, I made a stronger effort to create one on one time with him for Phonics.

Fast forward a few more weeks and I start noticing that none of the daycare kids are: 1.) interested in learning, 2.) getting up with Ethan or 3.) developmentally ready for what we are learning

So I realized I was pushing to hard.  Why was I trying to teach 6 kids from k12, when the purpose was to teach Ethan.

I took a step back, looked at my current options and made some new decisions.  Now, during quiet time Ethan and I go into Ian's office and work for 1-1.5 hours without distraction.  We still work in some of the curriculum into our daycare day - like story time for the Lang. Arts activities. (And then we read the book at night before bed most nights too)  But mostly, its a one-on-one thing for Ethan and I. 

And its working much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment