Saturday, February 5, 2011

Book Review: Stolen Innocence

Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren JeffsStolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was an amazing book for me to read.  I have been interested in the FLDS culture and religion for a long time, about 6-7 years since moving to Southern Utah.  Obviously, its close to my heart because we are close in proximity to the Colorado City/Hildale community.  We shop at the same Walmart. :)

So I began reading this book not realizing that it was about the criminal trial of Warren Jeffs in 2007-2008.  I checked it out from the library and the only thing that I knew was that it was an account of a young girl's story of being raised FLDS and then leaving the community.

Halfway through the book, as I was looking through the pictures I realized that I worked with the author in 2006.  We worked together at a daycare center, she was the "teacher" in charge of my son for a short time before leaving the center.  He loved her.  I loved her because she was kind to my son and I in our time of struggle adjusting to working/daycare after me being with him for his first 10 months.  Our children are the same ages and I immediately recognized her son from the daycare center.

So obviously, the second half of the book spoke to me in a different way.  This wasn't just any young girl's story.  This was a woman that had cared for my son.  She was real.  Living.  Breathing. Caring woman.  Who had been through so much.

I was deeply touched by what she has been through and what she is going through now.  I wish I could have known more when we were in contact, because my heart just bleeds for her and what she was going through.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment