Friday, January 28, 2011

Conversations with Ethan & Emma

Wednesday night while we were driving to get something to eat, Ian decided to tell our kids that we were going to have another kid.  He asked them what they thought of that and Ethan said "That would be preeeetty cool."

Then Ian went inside to get our dinner (Cafe Rio, um, of course) and Ethan and Emma started asking me all kinds of questions.  Here is how it went down.


Ethan:  Is the baby in your tummy yet? 

Me: No, not yet.  Hopefully soon.

Ethan:  Is it going to get in there today?

Me:  No, probably not today, but hopefully soon. 

Ethan:  When?

Me:  Soon!   I promise I'll tell you when it in there.  But it will be a while, but I promise I'll tell you. And I'm thinking:  please don't ask how it gets in there, I'm so not ready for this.

Ethan: I want it to be a brother.


Emma:  I want it to be a sister.


Me: Well we don't get to choose. Please hear that.  We don't get to choose. It might be a boy, it might be a girl.  We don't get to choose.   And we won't know until it comes out and we can see the baby.


Ethan:  Are you going to go to the doctor to help get it out?

Me:  Probably not.  Miss Laura is going to help get the baby out at our house. 

Emma:  When we go to Grandma Candy's house when its summer, is it going to be ready?

Me:  You mean ready to come out? 

Emma nods.

Me: No, honey it won't be ready in the summer.  And I don't want the baby to come out at Grandma Candy's house.  I want the baby to come out at our house.

Ethan:  Why?

Me: Because I want to be comfortable, I'm not that comfortable at Grandma Candy's house.  Why do you want the baby to come out at Grandma Candy's house?

Emma:  So she can see the baby.

Me:  Oh!  Well she can come to our house. 

There was a pause here, I thought maybe the conversation was over.  Until.....

Ethan:  Are you going to wear clothes when the baby comes out?

Me:  I don't know, I guess I haven't really thought about it.

Another pause.

Ethan:  Are you going to be NAKED?!?!?!   Begin the 5 year old boy giggles here

Me:  Um, well yes, most likely, I suppose. 

Ethan... more giggles and more giggles and never ending giggles. 


Leave it to my son to be completely unfazed by the entire conversation, except the part about me being naked.  Love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment