Thursday, January 13, 2011

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

I just finished Michael Pollan's Food Rules for the second time.  I also read The Omnivore's Dilemma several months ago.   I really like the concepts that he presents in the book - eating natural, clean, whole foods.  

I'm not giving up the structure of WW just yet - but I am starting to incorporate the following "policies" into my food decisions.  These are less about following a diet (like WW) and more about choosing to eat differently as a lifestyle choice.  

And that feels like a much better way to approach my weight right now. (Especially considering hopeful/impending pregnancy as part of 2011)

 The basic summary is: Eat Food.  Not too much.  Mostly Plants.  These concepts are explained in detail in the Omnivore's Dilemma.  In Food Rules, he collects different ways of saying basically the same thing - so that you can choose the policies that feel right to you. Here's what spoke to me.  (The top 3-4 in each category)

Eat Food
First 3 ingredients: No form of sugar
No HFCS
Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food
Avoid food pretending to be something its not (margarine)


Not too much
Put fork down between bites
Sit down during meals at the table
Eat until 75% full


Mostly Plants
Snacks – Fruit/Veggies only
Yogurt daily
4-6 oz of meat daily
Whole wheat grain products (bread, pasta, rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment